John R Street Bridge
One of four identical single-span bridges designed to carry major north-south arterial streets over the Davison Limited Highway, built to speed crosstown traffic through Highland Park. The others were at Third Avenue, Second Avenue, and Brush Street. The hinged, reinforced concrete, rigid-framed bridge design permitted maximum underclearance without raising the grade of the street above. The steel reinforcing bars were bent on site, instead of in fabricating shops.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Lost Concrete rigid frame bridge over M-8, Davison Freeway on John R Street
- Highland Park, Wayne County, Michigan
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1942; Replaced 1996
- - William J. Storen Co. of Detroit, Michigan
- Concrete rigid frame
Length of largest span: 77.1 ft.
Total length: 86.9 ft.
Deck width: 40.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.40439, -83.09245 (decimal degrees)
42°24'16" N, 83°05'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/327806/4696797 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Highland Park
- Inventory numbers
- MINBI 82182104000S020 (Michigan bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory 2010 and before)
BH 65008 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 24, 2014: Added by Dave King
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER MI-103-F - Davison Freeway, John R. Street Avenue Bridge, Spanning Davison Freeway, Highland Park, Wayne County, MI