East Machias River Bridge
The Pope Memorial Bridge is the fourth bridge in this location to cross the East Machias River, and the first to be constructed of reinforced concrete. The structure is a critical component of U.S. Route 1 as it links the central part of Washington County and the remainder of the state with the seacoast and the northeastern reaches of Maine. The graceful design of the three-arch, closed spandrel concrete structure is the work of Leonard Metcalf, a preeminent civil engineer and bridge designer of this period. The bridge was the first reinforced concrete arch bridge constructed in Maine, and is believed to be the oldest concrete bridge of any type still in use in the state. The construction of the bridge was privately financed by three descendants of William Pope and his seven sons, early settlers and entrepreneurs of East Machias, to whom the bridge is dedicated.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Concrete arch bridge over East Machias River on US 1 in East Machias
- Washington County, Maine
- Open to traffic
- Built 1902; rehabilitated 1998
- - Leonard Metcalf
Length of largest span: 39.0 ft.
Total length: 139.1 ft.
Deck width: 42.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.73915, -67.38887 (decimal degrees)
44°44'21" N, 67°23'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/627556/4955236 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- ME 2682 (Maine bridge number)
BH 19924 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 83.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 6, 2012: HAER photos posted by Jason Smith
- April 13, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Fixed GPS
- Nathan Holth
- HAER ME-61 - Pope Memorial Bridge, Spanning East Machias River at U.S. Route 1, East Machias, Washington County, ME