MEC - Gulf Stream Trestle
Gulf Stream Trestle, Bingham, ME 1910
Gulf Stream Trestle (1904-1976) on the Somerset Railroad, Bingham, Maine. It carried tourists north to Moosehead Lake, and huge amounts of timber south to the mills.
View this photo at Wikimedia Commons
BH Photo #306250
Built by the Somerset Railroad to connect Moosehead Lake to southern Maine. After becoming part of the Maine Central system, the railroad was abandoned in 1933. The bridge continued to see use for log trucks until it was removed in 1976.
- Lost Bridge over Gulf Stream on Maine Central Railroad
- Somerset County, Maine
- Removed but not replaced
- Built 1904, RR abandoned 1933, removed 1976
- - Maine Central Railroad (MEC)
- Somerset Railroad
- Deck plate girder
Total length: 600.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +45.11242, -69.84483 (decimal degrees)
45°06'45" N, 69°50'41" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/433544/4995786 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Mahoney Hill
- Inventory number
- BH 63846 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 26, 2014: Added by Ian Martin