Rating:
2 votes

Wilson's Bridge

Photos 

Photo taken by Daniel McFarland

Enlarge

BH Photo #132661

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Wilson’s Bridge was the first of the stone bridges built in Washington County. Its purpose was to carry the state-chartered, privately funded ‘Bank Road’ over Conococheague Creek to join the National Road at Cumberland, providing a pivotal link between the eastern seaport cities and western markets and suppliers. Silas Harry contracted with the county to build this 210-foot. five-arch span at a cost of $12,000. It was considered a “modern marvel” upon completion. Its design and very fine workmanship served as a model for the 30 more bridges that quickly followed. Today, it is a popular fishing and picnic spot, with easy accessibility, convenient parking and a boat ramp. ~ SOURCE: http://bridges.marylandmemories.org/wilsons.html

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Conococheague Creek on National Pike
Location
Washington County, Maryland
Status
Open to pedestrians
History
Built 1819 by Silas Harry; closed to traffic June 1972 after suffering damage from Hurricane Agnes
Builder
- Silas Harry
Design
Stone arch
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 15, 1982
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.65790, -77.84805   (decimal degrees)
39°39'28" N, 77°50'53" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/255663/4393665 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Mason and Dixon
Inventory numbers
NRHP 82002822 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 45894 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • November 8, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
  • December 19, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
  • October 24, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman
  • August 14, 2010: Added by James Baughn

Sources