Rating:
2 votes

Booth's Mill Bridge

Share:

Photos 

Photo taken by Daniel McFarland in January 2006

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built in 1833 by Charles Wilson for $2,700, this three-archer over Antietam Creek has spans of 45', 43' and 45'. It replaced a wooden bridge near the site of a powder mill. Also known as the Delamere Bridge, it is near the pillared mansion “Delamere” which the Reverend Bartholomew Booth operated as a boys’ school as early as 1776. The British-born clergyman taught sons of such notables as Benedict Arnold; Robert Morris, the financier of the Revolution; Gen. Richard Henry Lee; and Samuel Washington of Virginia. SOURCE: http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=1983

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Antietam Creek on Route 68 in Lappans
Location
Lappans, Washington County, Maryland
Status
Good
Builder
- Charles Wilson
Design
Three stone arch
Also called
Delamere Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.53752, -77.71012   (decimal degrees)
39°32'15" N, 77°42'36" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/267095/4379936 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Funkstown
Inventory number
BH 39789 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

19th Century (6,090)
Antietam Creek (13)
Arch (11,115)
Built 1833 (14)
Built during 1830s (159)
Charles Wilson (1)
Deck arch (10,359)
Have street view (21,628)
Lappans, Maryland (1)
Maryland (649)
Open (36,089)
Stone arch (2,631)
Washington County, Maryland (92)

Update Log 

  • November 6, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
  • December 19, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder, description and alt. name
  • February 9, 2009: Added by Daniel McFarland

Sources 

  • Daniel McFarland
  • Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
  • J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com