Rating:
1 vote

Felfoot Bridge

Share:

Photos 

Photo taken by Daniel McFarland

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Built in 1854 by George Burgan for $1,550, this bridge spans Little Antietam Creek and stands on "Felfoot" a tract of land originally surveyed in 1734 and patented to Thomas Swearingen in 1737. An unusual feature of this bridge is the squared pilasters used at the outside end of each arch, where they apparently serve more as ornamentation than as a structural necessity. The two arches have 30' spans, and the total bridge length is 90'. SOURCE: http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=4929

Over The Little Antietam --On Dog Street in Keedysville, East of Route 34, Toward Route 67

George Burgan built this Bridge over the Little Antietam Creek at “Felfoot,” a land grant that was originally surveyed in 1734. It has squared pilasters at the outside of each arch- corner, seen in no other bridge in the county. The large barn on the east side, built by Sir John St. Clair in 1754, was a major French and Indian War supply depot for General Braddock’s forces. SOURCE: http://bridges.marylandmemories.org/felfootbridge.html

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Little Antietam Creek on Dogstreet Road in Keedysville
Location
Keedysville, Washington County, Maryland
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1854; rehabilitated 1996
Builder
- George Burgan
Design
Stone arch
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 29.9 ft.
Total length: 65.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Recognition
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Also called
Dogstreet Road Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.47667, -77.68833   (decimal degrees)
39°28'36" N, 77°41'18" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/268766/4373125 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 19781 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 10/2015)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 37.2 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
1,560

Update Log 

  • December 19, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description and correct and alt. names; correct build date
  • January 28, 2009: New photo from Daniel McFarland

Sources 

  • Daniel McFarland
  • Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com