Rating:
1 vote

Pry's Mill Bridge

Share:

Photos 

Photo taken by Daniel McFarland

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This two-arch bridge was built over the Little Antietam Creek by George Burgan for $1,650 in 1858. Its cutwaters, the upstream pier bulwarks designed to divide the current and break up ice flows and log jams, are unique in that they are shaped like the prows of ships. Both grist and sawmills operated at nearby Pry’s Mill. ~ SOURCE: http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=2004

The site of a bridge since the 1830’s, this two-arch bridge was finished in its present form for the county at the cost of $1650.00. The bridge appears very much as it always has, with just a single narrow lane to carry traffic. Both grist and sawmills operated at nearby Pry’s Mill, also becoming makeshift hospitals after The Battle of Antietam. Its unusual cutwaters are shaped like a ship’s bow facing upstream, with the more rounded “stern” downstream. Along the south side of the road, one of the largest of the old mills is now a beautiful private residence. ~ SOURCE: http://bridges.marylandmemories.org/prysMill.html

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Little Antietam Creek on Keedysville Road in Sharpsburg
Location
Keedysville, Washington County, Maryland
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1858; rehabilitated 1982
Builder
- George Burgan
Design
Stone arch
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 30.8 ft.
Total length: 67.9 ft.
Deck width: 12.5 ft.
Recognition
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Also called
Keedysville Road Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.48333, -77.70667   (decimal degrees)
39°28'60" N, 77°42'24" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/267211/4373912 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 19786 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 11/2015)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 75.8 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
1,173

Update Log 

  • December 19, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder, description and alt. name
  • February 9, 2009: Updated by Daniel McFarland
  • January 27, 2009: New photo from Daniel McFarland

Sources 

  • Daniel McFarland
  • Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com