Rating:
2 votes

Rose's Mill Bridge

Photos 

Photo taken by Daniel McFarland in January 2006

Enlarge

BH Photo #133171

Map 

Description 

This handsome three-arch bridge over Antietam Creek was constructed by John Weaver in 1839 and was specially adapted to the grain mill which was built at the same time. The westernmost of the three arches was designed to accommodate the millrace flue, and the floor of the bridge at its southwest corner was widened to permit loading and unloading of wagons directly under the second floor level mill door. The arch spans are 23', 26' and 23', with a total bridge length of 132'. ~ CREDIT: http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=4930

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Antietam Creek on Garis Shop Road in Funkstown
Location
Washington County, Maryland
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1839; rehabilitated 1979
Builder
- John Weaver
Design
Stone arch
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 37.1 ft.
Total length: 131.9 ft.
Deck width: 16.4 ft.
Recognition
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Also called
Garis Shop Road Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.58833, -77.70667   (decimal degrees)
39°35'18" N, 77°42'24" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/267561/4385568 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Funkstown
Inventory number
BH 19783 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 01/2016)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 44.6 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
1,644

Update Log 

  • December 19, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description and correct and alt. names
  • February 9, 2009: New photo from Daniel McFarland

Sources 

  • Daniel McFarland
  • Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com