Rating:
No votes cast

Old Forge Road Bridge

Photos 

Old Forge Bridge

Christopher Busta-Peck, March 23, 2008

BH Photo #190634

Map 

Description 

This three-arch bridge was erected at a cost $2,800 by W. H. Eirely in 1863 over a ford in Antietam Creek. The east arch of this bridge spans a path once used for cattle. A forge, part of a large ironworks operation owned by the Hughes brothers, was in operation on the north side of the bridge during the late 18th century; and the two stone buildings on the south cliff date from this era. Daniel Hughes house to the north is dated 1763. Later grist and sawmills operated at this site. ~ SOURCE: http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=6521

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Antietam Creek on Old Forge Road
Location
Washington County, Maryland
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1863; rehabilitated 1981
Builder
- W. H. Eirely
Design
Stone arch
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 40.0 ft.
Total length: 134.8 ft.
Deck width: 18.7 ft.
Recognition
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.66667, -77.65167   (decimal degrees)
39°40'00" N, 77°39'06" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/272542/4394122 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Hagerstown
Inventory number
BH 19794 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 10/2015)
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 86.2 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
516

Update Log 

  • December 19, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description

Sources