BO - Lower Elysville Bridge (1853)
1857 image Bollman Bridge near Elysville, Cumberland B&O
Artists' Excursion Over the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Photograph Collection
Photo uploaded by Art S.
View this photo at mdhs.org
BH Photo #466598
The "Annual Report" for 1855 stated all wooden bridges will be replaced with iron. It continues to say $18,325.19 has been expended for the Elysville Lower Bridge and the bridge should be completed late 1855 or early 1856. The "Annual Report" for 1856 spoke of the completion of the Lower Bridge:
The Lower Bridge at Elysville, consisting of three spans of each 111 feet, has been reconstructed of iron of sufficient width of two tracks. Besides the superstructure, two new piers were erected to replace the old ones.
- Lost Bollman through truss bridge over Patapsco river on BO Railroad
- Elysville, Howard County, Maryland
- No longer exists
- Built 1853 lost 1868 due to flooding. Replaced by a bridge of similar design but with an additional span.
- - B&O Mount Clare Shops of Baltimore, Maryland
- Wendel Bollman of Baltimore, Maryland
- - Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (BO)
- 3 111 ft Bollman through trusses
Length of largest span: 111.0 ft.
Total length: 333.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.31557, -76.81615 (decimal degrees)
39°18'56" N, 76°48'58" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/343431/4353369 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 88377 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 27, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: Added description and some details
- February 26, 2020: Updated by Luke: Corrected builders to prexisting categories
- February 26, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com