Nov 1977 view of CBW span
by Harwood for HAER
Photo uploaded by Art S.
BH Photo #481650
Covered bridge washed out June 1889. One span was salvageable so only western span ordered. WIBCo. won. It was then decided to relocate rather than reset the eastern span (now Utica Mills Covered Bridge). Eastern span then bid and won by Columbia Bridge Co. (successors to D.H. & C.C. Morrison, Columbia Bridge Works). Deck destroyed but not replaced in 1973. Bridge removed late in 1978 or later.
Copied from forum post:
The Devilbiss Covered bridge was washed out as a result of the Johnstown Flood. One span was destroyed, the other was salvageable. Initially it was decided to reset the salvageable covered span and replace the western span with a new iron bridge. The western span was put out for bid on June 28, 1889.
Wrought Iron Bridge Co. was awarded the western span on July 19, 1889.
Subsequently, it was decided to relocate rather than reset the covered span, which became the Utica Mills Covered bridge http://bridgehunter.com/md/frederick/utica-mills-covered/ Thus the eastern span was put out for bid and won by a different company - CBW.
One of the last Columbia Bridge Co. (CBW) bridges built. Awarded in Sept of 1889 for $3,035.
- Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Monocacy River on Devilbiss Bridge Road
- Walkersville, Frederick County, Maryland
- No longer exists
- Covered bridge washed out June 1889. One span was salvageable so only western span ordered. WIBCo. won. It was then decided to relocate rather than reset the eastern span (now Utica Mills Covered Bridge). Eastern span then bid and won by CBW
- - Columbia Bridge Co. of Dayton, Ohio
- Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio
- Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pratt through truss
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.50711, -77.37722 (decimal degrees)
39°30'26" N, 77°22'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/295618/4375752 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 90653 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 4, 2020: Updated by Luke: Corrected builder to pre-existing category
- September 15, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: added to description
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com