Porters Bridge, circa 1980
From the Cecil County CE-914 Architectural Survey File
BH Photo #478095
The bridge replaced an earlier covered bridge that was lost in the flood of late June, 1884. The abutments appear to have been reused in 1885 from the former covered bridge. Wing walls may also have been original to the covered bridge.
In 1927 the bridge carried US 1, but US 1 bypassed Porters Bridge by 1934. The bridge was closed in 1978 due to the wash-out of the eastern roadway approach. The bridge was dismantled in 2002.
- Lost Bridge over Octoraro Creek on Porters Bridge Road (formerly MD 591)
- Cecil County, Maryland
- Removed but not replaced
- Built 1885
- - Awarded 6-Sep-1884 for $7.15 per yd.
- McHugh and Hathaway of Philadelphia
- Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- 8-panel Pratt pin-connected through truss with a wooden deck.
Span length: 121.0 ft.
Total length: 121.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.0 ft.
- Also called
- Richardsmere Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.69021, -76.12812 (decimal degrees)
39°41'25" N, 76°07'41" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/403269/4393982 (zone/easting/northing)
- 78 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 90183 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 8, 2020: New photo from Todd Clark