WM - C&P Wills Creek Bridge
Significance: The Wills Creek Bridge is located in the Cumberland and Pennsylvania subdivision of the Western Maryland Railway Company. It is a brick arch viaduct of four spans, each 45 feet in length. The abutments and piers, of which there are three, are built of stone ashlar laid in cement mortar. Except in 1915, when the brickwork of the structure was pointed, it is unchanged. A recent survey showed that the viaduct vibrates considerably when an engine passes over it, the bricks are soft, and the arches require training.
- Brick arch bridge over Wills Creek on Western Maryland Rwy
- Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland
- Demolished Jan. 1998
- Built in 1860, repointed in 1915. By 1984 it was in need of major attention by specialized workers; demolished by CSX Jan. 1998
- - Maryland Mining Co.
- - Cumberland & Pennsylvania Railroad (C&P)
- Western Maryland Railway (WM)
- Brick arch viaduct of four spans with abutments and piers, of which there are three, are built of stone ashlar laid in cement mortar.
Length of largest span: 45.0 ft.
Total length: 246.7 ft.
- Also called
- Narrows Viaduct
Eckhart Branch Bridge
C&P Eckhart Branch
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.67054, -78.79012 (decimal degrees)
39°40'14" N, 78°47'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/689546/4393525 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
- Inventory number
- BH 19531 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 73.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 22, 2017: Updated by Luke: Added Maryland Inventory of Historic Bridges number
- November 1, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- July 26, 2016: New photo from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- July 22, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Added demolition date and more history sources
- June 23, 2013: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added additional names
- June 14, 2013: Updated by Jodi Christman: Updated JC notes (made by self)
- May 4, 2013: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added category "HAER documented"
- December 26, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman