BM - Clinton Tunnel
Clinton Tunnel 1
Photo taken by Marc N Belanger in November 2009
BH Photo #270082
Former Boston & Maine Railroad tunnel, built 1903 to re-route a line crossing the Wachusett Reservoir. There was formerly a high-level trestle across the Nashua River, west of the tunnel, just downstream from the dam. The east end of the tunnel includes a large rock cut and concrete arch bridge carrying Clamshell Road above. Passenger service ended in 1958. Track has been removed.
- Abandoned tunnel on abandoned railroad grade in Clinton
- Clinton, Worcester County, Massachusetts
- Built 1903
- - McArthur Bros of New York City, New York
- - Boston & Maine Railroad (B&M; BM)
- Central Massachusetts Railroad
Total length: 1,080.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 22.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.40477, -71.68167 (decimal degrees)
42°24'17" N, 71°40'54" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/279316/4698203 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 44461 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 11, 2019: New Street View added by Luke
- July 24, 2014: Updated by Ian Martin: Added category "Central Massachusetts Railroad"
- November 12, 2013: New photos from Marc N Belanger
- March 16, 2010: Added by Joshua Collins