Pierceville Road Bridge
"NY NH & H RR records indicate that this bridge was originally built in 1878 and rebuilt just 9 years later, in 1887. Structural evidence (missing and/or non-matching at all upper chord splice and cover plates) suggests that these trusses were disassembled and moved at an early date, while the very heavy proportions of the individual members suggest that these trusses were originally designed to carry railroad loadings, not the much lighter highway loadings of the period. It would seem plausible to suggest that these trusses were built in 1878 as part of a railroad bridge at some other location, and were moved and re-erected here as a highway bridge in 1887. This move and conversion may well have been prompted by the catastrophic collapse of the Bussey Bridge in Dedham on March 14, 1887. The Bussey Bridge disaster, which claimed 23 lives, caused many railroads to reconsider the adequacy of their metal truss roadway bridges, and to begin replacing those whose adequacy was at all questionable."
-S.J. Roper, MDPW, 5/1989
- Pony truss bridge over Massachusetts Coastal Railroad on Pierceville Road in Wareham
- Wareham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts
- Open to traffic
- Built 1878; relocated here 1887; rehabilitated 1996
- - Keystone Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- - Bay Colony Railroad (BCLR)
- Massachusetts Coastal Railroad (MC)
- New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NH)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pratt pony truss
Length of largest span: 54.1 ft.
Total length: 63.0 ft.
Deck width: 32.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- NYNH&H Cape Main Bridge No. 45.38
Tremont Station Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.79125, -70.76976 (decimal degrees)
41°47'29" N, 70°46'11" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/352951/4628113 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Snipatuit Pond
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- MA W06008 (Massachusetts bridge number)
BH 19434 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 58.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 24, 2020: New photos from Geoff Hubbs
- April 23, 2015: Updated by Ian Martin: Merged MACRIS Info.
- August 12, 2014: New Street View added by Ian Martin