Fore River Bridge (Temporary)
Fore River lift bridge
Photo taken by Douglas Butler in July 2013
BH Photo #288658
Erected in 2015 as a Bailey truss bridge to provide a temporary crossing at the Fore River Bridge site while a replacement was under construction. It was converted to a Acrow Pony Lift Bridge a few months later, although it rarely ever lifted. The bridge was disassembled in 2017 following the completion of the new permanent vertical-lift bridge. Although it was originally believed that the bridge was hauled away, at least some of the Bailey/Acrow truss sections are still sitting in an industrial yard next to the new bridge, as of October 2020.
- Bailey/Acrow pony truss vertical-lift bridge over Weymouth Fore River on MA 3A (Temporary alignment)
- Weymouth, Norfolk County, Massachusetts
- In storage or disassembled. Bridge was removed in 2017 but as of 2020 parts remain next to the new bridge
- Built as a temporary bridge in 2006; Disassembled in 2017 but parts remain in storage
- - Acrow Corporation of America of Parsippany, New Jersey
- Acrow/Bailey truss lift bridge
Length of largest span: 210.0 ft.
Total length: 1,689.7 ft.
Deck width: 47.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.24398, -70.96708 (decimal degrees)
42°14'38" N, 70°58'01" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/337711/4678739 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- MA Q01001 (Massachusetts bridge number)
BH 61763 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 12, 2020: Updated by Nick Boppel: Update description per my discovery of the Bailey/Acrow truss sections sitting next to the new bridge
- April 9, 2018: Updated by Amanda: Bridge removed
- October 23, 2017: Updated by Matthew: Bridge has been closed since replacement is completed
- November 2, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- September 6, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
- July 18, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Noted that the bridge is a temp span, added builder
- July 18, 2014: Added by Douglas Butler