MBTA - Mill River Bridge
"The approximately 70' wide, coursed granite ashlar, arch bridge appears to date to the gradual double tracking of the line from Islington (West Dedham) to Franklin between 1873 and 1882. The 16' span is located beneath a steep, high embankment that originally carried two tracks, but one has been removed. 1878 is the date assigned to the bridge by the MBTA and its styling, with cut voussoirs that form a seven-stone wide, continuous vertical joint at the crown, and size strongly suggest that the span is part of the 1870s track improvement rather than being an original bridge.
Examination of the inside of the arch suggests that the bridge was originally pointed and that it is one continuous vault rather than incorporating an earlier arch. The spandrel is four courses, and the bridge is intact. Although representative of the quality, masonry bridges that were constructed during the last quarter of the 19th century, it is one of many surviving examples of its type in eastern Massachusetts. It does not meet National Register criteria as possessing distinctive characteristics or a method of construction that would yield significant historical information." - Mary E. McCahon, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 10/1988
- June 27, 2020: Added by Ian Martin