B&M - Bruces Pond Bridge
"Chartered in May 1869, the Massachusetts Central Railroad Company was the last of the major east -west routes to extend across the state, competing for the traffic of both the Boston & Albany to the south and the Fitchburg to the north. Its road was opened from Cambridge to Hudson, 23.5 miles, 10/1/1881, and to Northampton in December of 1887. All passenger service ceased on the line in 1971, and freight service ended in 1980.
ICC records reported that the proceeding trestle on this site, completed in 1906, was 68 feet long supported on six bents. The present timber pile trestle, rebuilt in 1932, consists of nine bents, each composed of six piles. A cantilevered pedestrian walkway on the north side of the structure is in frequent use."
-P.H. Stott, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 12/1987
- Abandoned timber stringer bridge over Bruce's Pond on B&M Central Mass Branch
- Hudson, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Built 1932
- - Boston & Maine Railroad (B&M; BM)
- Central Massachusetts Railroad
- Timber stringer
Total length: 108.3 ft.
Deck width: 18.1 ft.
- Also called
- Central Massachusetts Railway Bridge No. 138
B&M Central Mass Bridge No. 27.82
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.39333, -71.56516 (decimal degrees)
42°23'36" N, 71°33'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/288866/4696635 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 67515 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 10, 2015: Added by Ian Martin