Construction of the Boston and Worcester Railroad began in Boston in August 1832. The line reached Worcester on July 3, 1835. A second track was in service by 1843. In 1867, the Boston and Worcester and the Western Railroads merged to form the Boston and Albany Railroad. The New York Central and Hudson River Railroad acquired control of the Boston and Albany Railroad in 1900. An expansion of the line to four tracks as far west as Framingham was completed in 1907.
This section of the road was widened to four tracks in 1893. This bridge, originally constructed over Park Road in 1835 by the Boston & Worcester Railroad, was rebuilt in 1880 and extended in 1893 to accomodate four tracks. The present through plate girder span represents a rebuilding of the structure in 1914. The structure originally carried four tracks with a main girder spacing of 40 feet. Two tracks on the northerly half of the bridge are presently active, and the two on the southerly part are vacant, tracks, ties, and ballast having been removed. The bridge is framed with two main through girders at the bridge fascias with stringers perpendicular to the abutments. Eight of these stringers span from abutment to abutment, and eight on each side frame into the girders. All members are riveted, plate girder fabrication and support a reinforced concrete deck. Stringers are spaced at approximately 4'-10". Abutments and wingwalls are granite masonry extended with concrete.