B&M - Stony Brook Bridge
"Chartered in May 1869, the Massachusetts Central Railroad Company was the last of the major east -west routes to extend across the state, competing for the traffic of both the Boston & Albany to the south and the Fitchburg to the north. Its road was opened from Cambridge to Hudson, 23.5 miles, 10/1/1881, and to Northampton in December of 1887. All passenger service ceased on the line in 1971, and freight service ended in 1980.
This stone-arch culvert has a clear span of 16 feet 9 inches. The granite ashlar stonework is believed to be contemporary with the original construction of the line, although the railroad's 1881 drawing of the structure shows that the culvert was to have a different, trapezoidal section than that which was constructed."
-P.H. Stott, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 12/1987
- Stone arch bridge over Stony Brook on B&M Central Mass Branch
- Weston, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built 1881
- - Boston & Maine Railroad (B&M; BM)
- Central Massachusetts Railroad
- Stone arch
Length of largest span: 16.8 ft.
Deck width: 76.0 ft.
- Also called
- B&M Central Mass Branch Bridge 118
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.37535, -71.27763 (decimal degrees)
42°22'31" N, 71°16'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/312479/4693965 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 68067 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 16, 2015: Added by Ian Martin