MBTA - Intervale Road Overpass
"Construction of the Boston and Worcester Railroad began in Boston in August 1832. The line reached Worcester on July 3, 1835. A second track was in service by 1843. In 1867, the Boston and Worcester and the Western Railroads merged to form the Boston and Albany Railroad. The New York Central and Hudson River Railroad acquired control of the Boston and Albany Railroad in 1900. An expansion of the line to four tracks as far west as Framingham was
completed in 1907.
Bridge No. 29A was originally constructed at Hubbard's Crossing in 1893 as part of the railroad's grade-crossing elimination program. In 1911 the bridge was rebuilt by the Boston & Albany at a cost of $1160.13. The bridge is a single, simple-span structure consisting of four four-girder spans, one for each of the original four tracks on the line. Each is laterally braced with internal diaphragms at each end of the girder and at midspan. There is no superstructure connection between the four units and none have any diagonal bracing. Girders under the active rails have apparently been replaced since the original construction. These appear to be 21G140 (as opposed to the 20G107 girders under the vacant tracks) with riveted plate and angle diaphragms. There are no cover plates on these girders. A timber deck provided direct rail support and is made of 9"x9" timbers alternately set with 7"x6" fillers. The original bridge seats have been recently replaced with a continuous steel subassembly encased in concrete."
-Peter Stott, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 12/1988
- Steel stringer bridge over Intervale Road on MBTA Worcester Line
- Weston, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Open to traffic
- Built 1911 on 1893 abutments; scheduled for replacement 2020-2021
- - Boston & Albany Railroad (BA)
- CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Commuter Rail
- Conrail (CR)
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Steel stringer
Length of largest span: 19.8 ft.
Total length: 23.8 ft.
Deck width: 54.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.0 ft.
- Also called
- B&A Main Line Bridge 29A
CSX - Intervale Road Overpass
B&A Main Line Bridge 12.02
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.33121, -71.27211 (decimal degrees)
42°19'52" N, 71°16'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/312803/4689051 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- MA W-29-16 (Massachusetts bridge number)
BH 65814 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 3, 2020: Updated by Ian Martin: Scheduled for replacement
- July 3, 2015: Updated by Ian Martin: Merged MACRIS Info
- February 1, 2015: New Street View added by Dave King