No votes cast

Old Springfield Toll Bridge



Published prior to 1923

View this photo at books.google.com

BH Photo #366028


The first bridge at this location, an uncovered toll bridge, was built in 1805; it collapsed in 1814 from weather and heavy traffic. A second bridge, covered this time, was opened October 1, 1816. It was built on seven piers rather than the original five, but in March of 1818 five piers collapsed leaving a few spans on the West Springfield side. Repairs were completed and the bridge reopened in 1820. The bridge was sold to Hampden County in 1872, and tolls were eliminated at that time. During the 1919 rebuild, the three largest spans were shortened from 200 feet to 100 feet by constructing intermediate piers.In 1922 it was replaced by the Memorial Bridge slightly downstream.


Lost Covered Burr arch-truss bridge over Connecticut River on Bridge Street in Springfield
West Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts
Replaced by a new bridge
Built 1816; damaged sections replaced in 1820; last tolls collected July, 1872;reconstructed 1919; replaced 1922
- Damon, Capt. Isaac
Burr arch-truss
Also called
Old Toll Bridge
Connecticut River Covered Bridge
Bridge Street Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+42.09983, -72.59586   (decimal degrees)
42°05'59" N, 72°35'45" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/698799/4663657 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Springfield South
Inventory number
BH 73889 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • March 26, 2021: New photos from Chester Gehman
  • March 25, 2021: Updated by Chester Gehman: Renamed bridge to reflect common usage. Added to History.
  • June 2, 2020: Updated by Geoff Hubbs: Revised maplocation, photo 6 shows it was between Memorial Bridge and B&A RR bridge
  • March 29, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • September 25, 2016: Added by Dave King

Related Bridges 


  • Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • Richard Doody
  • Geoff Hubbs
  • Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com