MBTA - Pleasant Street Overpass
"The Pleasant Street Bridge, built in 1896 for the Boston and Maine Railroad, is located immediately south of the 1896 Beverly railroad station, and was part of the station improvement program. When the new station was built, an embankment was created so that the grade crossing at Pleasant Street could be eliminated and the traffic flow improved. Once the bridge and station were completed, the city of Beverly built a park across from the station "to give strangers a much better impression of Beverly than they obtain now." The station was listed in the National Register of Historic Places, 11 October 1979. It is a three-span deck plate girder with floor beams and lateral braces. The curb columns composed of riveted Z-bars are set on an elevated continuous granite base and are stabilized by lateral braces. The bridge was extensively rehabilitated within the last three years. As a result of this the former pedestrian walkways are now open.
The bridge is located on the main line of the Eastern Railroad, chartered in 1836 to run from East Boston through Salem and Salisbury to the state line. Never a financially strong line, it over-extended itself by acquiring many of the small, local lines that were also unprofitable. The Eastern was taken over in 1884 by its territorial rival, the Boston and Maine Railroad. The MBTA purchased most of the Portland Division, as the old Eastern line was known after 1909, from the Boston and Maine in 1976."
-Jane Carolan, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 12/1988
- Deck plate girder bridge over Pleasant Street on MBTA Eastern Route Main Line
- Beverly, Essex County, Massachusetts
- Open to traffic
- Built 1896-7
- - Boston & Maine Railroad (BM)
- Commuter Rail
- Eastern Railroad
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)
- Deck plate girder with curb columns
Total length: 52.3 ft.
Deck width: 22.4 ft.
- Also called
- B&M Eastern Route Main Line Bridge 18.33
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.54634, -70.88565 (decimal degrees)
42°32'47" N, 70°53'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/345175/4712161 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 68910 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 16, 2015: New Street View added by Ian Martin