Dike Bridge (1951)
The bridge was made infamous in July 1969 when Senator Ted Kennedy drove into the pond, killing his passenger.
- Lost timber stringer bridge over Poucha Pond on Dike Road
- Edgartown Town, Dukes County, Massachusetts
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1951
- Timber stringer
Length of largest span: 12.1 ft.
Total length: 80.1 ft.
Deck width: 10.8 ft.
- Also called
- Chappaquiddick Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.37342, -70.45340 (decimal degrees)
41°22'24" N, 70°27'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/378457/4581230 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Edgartown OE SE
- Inventory number
- BH 70320 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 3, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- March 30, 2020: Updated by Nick Boppel: New bridge is still referred to as Dike Bridge; also Chappaquiddick Incident made the bridge infamous, not famous
- December 22, 2015: Added by Clark Vance
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com
- LA Times - Photo of bridge
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs