Wading River Railroad Bridge No. 28.43
The Boston and Providence Railroad was chartered in 1831. Trains between Boston and Canton Junction (originally Canton) began operating on September 12, 1834. Through service between Boston and Providence began with the completion of the Canton Viaduct on July 28, 1835.The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad obtained control of the Boston and Providence Railroad in 1893. The MBTA acquired the line between Boston and the Massachusetts
border in 1973. Today, in addition to carrying local commuter rail service, the line carries Amtrak's Northeast Corridor service between Boston and Washington.
This is a two track, rubble stone arch bridge with mortared joints and stepped, concave wingwalls. Between the crown of the arch and the ballasted deck, the spandrel wall is approximately 10 feet high. Bridge has an 18 inch high concrete parapet wall. Gunnite has been applied to the voussoirs and the intrados of the arch."
-Charles Scott, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 11/1987
- June 2, 2015: Added by Ian Martin