Bridge 33.51 was constructed in 1880 as a brick arch with stone spandrels and infill above the brick vault. Nine courses of red, common brick form the intrados of the arch. This 30-foot single-span brick arch is one of three identified arches constructed of that material on the line, and the only examples in the commuter rail system. This, and the nearly identical adjoining span, milepost 33.54, were constructed at the same time. A stone marker at track level reads: "These arches/replace the last/wooden bridge on / the Main line / constructed 1880 / Henry A. Whitney, Pres. / Albert A. Folsom, Sup't. / George F. Folsom, Eng'r."
The Boston and Providence Railroad Annual Report for 1879 stated: "The last wooden bridge of any consequence on the main road, over Ten-Mile River at Dodgeville, is being replaced by two arches of masonry. The work is of such a nature, that if hereafter, from any cause, the dam of the mill-pond just above the track should give way, it is believed that the strength of the abutments and the size of the arches, both of thirty feet span, will be ample to resist and carry off any rush of water... This work, equally a provision of safety against fire and water, has progressed slowly and will not be completed before another summer. Over one-half of the estimated cost of $18,000, namely $10,000 has gone into the current expenses of the year.... This stream is chiefly controlled by Messrs. B. B. and R. Knight, whose cotton fabrics are so celebrated. The acknowledgement of the stockholders are due to these gentlemen for the cordial manner in which they have cooperated with your company in the past and present in furthering every measure of safety and thoroughness of work appertaining to this water course. At Hebronville they have supplemented the heavy masonry of the Corporation by similar work, and at Dodgeville they have granted large liberties, permitting your company to change the course of the river.""
-Charles Scott, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 11/1987