AMTK - Seven Mile River Bridge
"The Boston and Providence Railroad was chartered in 1831. Trains between Boston and Canton Junction (originally Canton) began operating on September 12, 1834. Through service between Boston and Providence began with the completion of the Canton Viaduct on July 28, 1835. The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad obtained control of the Boston and Providence Railroad in 1893. The MBTA acquired the line between Boston and the Massachusetts
border in 1973. Today, in addition to carrying local commuter rail service, the line carries Amtrak's Northeast Corridor service between Boston and Washington.
Bridge 36.33 was probably constructed about 1880. It is a brick arch with stone spandrels and infill above the brick vault. Nine courses of red, common brick form the intrados of the arch. This 40-foot single-span brick arch is the largest of three identified arches constructed of that material on the line, and the only examples in the commuter rail system. Its similarity to the other two examples, at mileposts 33.51 and 33.54, suggests that the same engineer, George F. Folsom, was responsible."
-Charles Scott, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 11/1987
- June 2, 2015: Added by Ian Martin