Bogue Falaya River Bridge
Replaced an earlier bridge that was swept away in a flood on June 5, 1928 after four days of heavy rain. A temporary bridge was established in the interim. The permanent bridge was constructed for about $40,000 by Groom Construction Co. and supervised by the state highway department.
The bridge opened to traffic on December 21, 1929 and (except for a short period in the 1950s) served as part of US 190 until the Covington bypass was completed in 1969. It then became part of the US 190 Business route through Covington. The bridge was removed in the fall of 1993 midway through construction of its replacement.
- Lost steel stringer bridge over Bogue Falaya River on US 190 BUS / LA 21
- Covington, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1929; replaced 1993
- - Groom Construction Co.
- Louisiana Highway Commission (supervision)
- Combination steel, timber, and concrete trestle with earth approaches
Length of largest span: 18.0 ft.
Total length: 399.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +30.47649, -90.08940 (decimal degrees)
30°28'35" N, 90°05'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/779428/3375187 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory number
- BH 54009 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 61 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 16, 2020: Updated by Roger Collins: Added builder, dates, description text.
- October 19, 2012: Added by Jared Mixson