UP - Krotz Springs Bridge
Originally built by the Colorado Southern, New Orleans & Pacific Railroad. Construction began in March 1906, and after several delays due to high water on the Atchafalaya River, it was opened to traffic on November 24, 1908.
In the mid-1920s, the Louisiana Highway Commission entered into an agreement to pay the railroad company - at this point, the Missouri Pacific Railroad (Gulf Coast Lines) - $25,000 per year to share the bridge with auto traffic. However, there were delays in constructing the adjacent portions of State Route 7 (now US 190), then known as the Evangeline Highway. As the highway neared completion, the railroad bridge was surfaced with asphalt and opened for auto traffic on September 1, 1930. Auto traffic was discontinued in April 1935 with the opening of the original highway bridge just upstream.
- March 22, 2020: Updated by Roger Collins: Added description text, changed opening date.
- April 21, 2019: Updated by M. D. Caillet: Added category "Old US 190"
- October 17, 2017: New photo from Jeff Dubea
- March 9, 2016: New photo from M. D. Caillet
- May 30, 2013: New photo from M. D. Caillet
- September 22, 2012: New photos from Jared Mixson
- August 27, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Railroad", "Kansas City Southern Railway"
- August 27, 2012: Added by Jared Mixson