City Park Avenue Bridge
Opened to traffic on October 31, 1915, replacing a disabled bridge at the same location. The bridge was opened early to accommodate All Saints' Day traffic in the cemeteries. It was formally accepted by the city in December 1915.
Penn Bridge Co. bid $34,800 for its construction, and the final cost was estimated at $49,000. It originally contained two roadways, two sidewalks, and streetcar tracks for possible extension of the Canal Street line through Metairie Ridge.
The bridge was demolished in 1951, and the New Basin Canal was filled in for construction of the Pontchartrain Expressway (now Interstate 10).
- Deck girder bridge over former New Basin Canal on City Park Avenue/Metairie Road
- New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana
- Built 1915, demolished 1951
- - Penn Bridge Co. of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
- Strauss Bascule Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois
- Deck girder bascule
Total length: 65.0 ft.
- Also called
- Halfway Bridge
Halfway House Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +29.98105, -90.11361 (decimal degrees)
29°58'52" N, 90°06'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/778497/3320192 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- New Orleans East
- Inventory number
- BH 61748 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 15, 2020: Updated by Roger Collins: Added description text and corrected GPS location (was shown at 17th Street Canal).
- November 30, 2019: New photo from Douglas Butler
- June 16, 2019: New photo from Douglas Butler
- December 16, 2018: New photos from Douglas Butler
- December 15, 2018: Updated by Luke: Added builder
- April 27, 2017: Updated by Roger Collins: Added year demolished
- May 19, 2016: New photos from Luke
- July 17, 2014: New Street View added by Douglas Butler