Claiborne Avenue New Basin Canal Bridge
Claiborne Avenue Bridge (July 1928)
The swing bridge across the New Basin Canal (now filled) as it appeared just before opening to traffic in July 1928.
The Times-Picayune, July 30, 1928, p. 2
BH Photo #467611
This bridge was part of the improvement of Claiborne Avenue as a crosstown four-lane artery connecting directly with the Jefferson Highway - the original route of US 61 - toward Baton Rouge. It also served as part of US 90. The bridge was opened to traffic on July 30, 1928 and cost around $35,000.
Carrying only two lanes of traffic, the bridge was intended as a temporary measure until a larger permanent structure could be provided for, at which point it would be moved to another spot on the New Basin Canal. However, it remained in use until 1939, when the canal was filled in from its terminus at S. Rampart just beyond S. Claiborne. A four-lane roadway was substituted across the canal fill, and the bridge remained buried in place in the median until construction began on the twin railroad overpasses on S. Claiborne around 1951.
- Deck plate girder bridge over New Basin Canal on US 61/US 90 (South Claiborne Avenue)
- New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana
- Removed but not replaced
- Built 1928; abandoned 1939; removed ca. 1951
- - W. Horace Williams Co. of New Orleans, LA
- Electrically operated swing span. 22' roadway with two 5' sidewalks.
Length of largest span: 150.0 ft.
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +29.95095, -90.08496 (decimal degrees)
29°57'03" N, 90°05'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/781347/3316925 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 88521 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 9, 2020: New photo from Douglas Butler
- March 13, 2020: New photo from Roger Collins