This ferry was established in 1953 when LA Highway 27 (numbered as LA 104 prior to 1955) was re-routed to its current location around the north side of Monkey Island.
Prior to this, the highway traveled straight through the island, requiring two ferries to reach Cameron from the west. The first was the original Cameron Ferry established in 1930, which became the Monkey Island Ferry. The second was located closer to the Gulf of Mexico and had operated since the late 1930s when the Calcasieu Ship Channel was dredged across the sharp bend in Calcasieu Pass, creating Monkey Island.
- Ferry across Calcasieu Pass (Calcasieu Ship Channel) on LA 27
- Cameron, Cameron Parish, Louisiana
- Open to traffic
- Established 1953
- Ferry crossing
- Also called
- Cameron-Holly Beach Ferry
Cameron Ferry No. 2
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +29.80381, -93.34698 (decimal degrees)
29°48'14" N, 93°20'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/466469/3297096 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 53574 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 1, 2021: Updated by Roger Collins: Added historical info to description.
- May 19, 2014: Photo imported by Patrick Feller
- September 20, 2012: Added by Jared Mixson