George Rogers Clark Memorial Bridge
Photo taken June 2005 by James Adorno
BH Photo #103320
Written by J.P.
This bridge plays the center piece to Thunder Over Louisville, The largest annual fireworks show in North America. The bridge is closed from the Thursday before the show till the Monday after.
- Polygonal Warren cantilevered through truss bridge over Ohio River on US 31 between Louisville and Jeffersonville
- Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, and Clark County, Indiana
- Open to traffic
- Built 1929 by the American Bridge Co.; tolls removed 1946; rehabilitated 1958
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- Modjeski & Masters of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania (Design)
- Paul Philippe Cret (Architect For Pylons)
- Ralph Modjeski of Bochnia, Poland (Design)
- Polygonal Warren cantilevered riveted through truss
Length of largest span: 819.6 ft.
Total length: 5,746.5 ft. (1.1 mi.)
Deck width: 38.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 8, 1984
- Also called
- Louisville Municipal Bridge (official name until 1949)
Second Street Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.26407, -85.75147 (decimal degrees)
38°15'51" N, 85°45'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/609225/4235851 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- New Albany
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- Inventory numbers
- KY 056-B00136N (Kentucky bridge number)
NRHP 84001578 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 18825 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 49.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 6, 2022: New photo from Nathan Holth
- February 10, 2022: New photos from Bambi Sharkoman
- August 31, 2020: New photos from Jim Grey
- October 23, 2019: New photos from Mike Daffron
- January 24, 2019: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
- July 18, 2018: New photos from J.P.
- February 18, 2017: New photo from Daniel Barnes
- September 15, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Riveted"
- October 27, 2014: New photo from Michael Miller
- July 11, 2014: New photos from Andrew Raker
- July 10, 2014: New photo from Andrew Raker
- July 9, 2014: New photo from Andrew Raker
- April 29, 2013: Updated by J.P.: bridge is reopened after thunder.
- February 11, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added Architect.
- February 9, 2013: New photos from J.P.
- February 5, 2013: New photo from J.P.
- February 6, 2012: New photos from C Hanchey
- April 16, 2011: Essay added by J.P.
- March 11, 2011: New photo from J.P.
- September 28, 2010: New photo from Jacob P. Bernard
- September 8, 2010: New photos from J.P.
- May 3, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- April 19, 2010: Updated by J.P.: reopen
- April 15, 2010: Updated by J.P.: updated for thunder
- April 5, 2010: Updated by J.P.: added street view
- March 7, 2010: New photos from J.P.
- June 21, 2009: New photos from James McCray
- May 28, 2008: New photos from Joe Virruso
- October 10, 2005: Posted photo from James Adorno
- James Adorno
- Joe Virruso - virrusofamily [at] att [dot] net
- James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Jacob P. Bernard
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Andrew Raker
- Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Daniel Barnes
- Melissa Brand-Welch - melissabrandwelch [at] msn [dot] com
- Mike Daffron - daffmikron [at] gmail [dot] com
- Jim Grey - mobilene [at] gmail [dot] com
- Jesse Sharkoman Berube - jesseberube5 [at] gmail [dot] com