The original L&N Railroad Bridge crossing the Green River at Munfordville, KY was designed by Albert Fink, and was a fantastic 5 span "Fink Truss". At the time of it's completion in 1859, it was said to be the second longest iron bridge in the United States. The bridge was 1250 feet long, and was mounted atop a series of piers built by the Key Stone and Masonry company of Woodsonville. These piers were of sufficient height that at summer flow, the railroad tracks were 115 feet above the river's surface.
As the railroad crossed paths with the Green River slackwater system at Bowling Green, KY, it was part of a transportation system that reached all 4 points of the compass within the Commonwealth of Kentucky. This made the L&N Bridge, the Green River's locks and dams, and the city of Bowling Green "must have's" for both armies during the Civil War. Battles were fought for all these prizes, and in 1861, retreating Confederates used canister shells and gunpowder charges to destroy the north span and northernmost pier of the bridge. A wood trestle and rail deck were built to get the bridge back in service. Later in the same year, raiders burned the trestle, and it was rebuilt again. Heavily guarded, the bridge remained mostly intact for the rest of the war.
In 1898, the Fink Truss was entirely replaced with a 5 span deck truss bridge. The new bridge was placed on the original Key Stone and Masonry Piers. The pier blasted out during the war was not rebuilt. Instead, a steel trestle was built to replace the wooden one.
In 1926, the L&N Railroad elevated their rail beds, and the bridge was replaced once more. The 1926 configuration used only 2 deck truss spans, across the river proper. The remaining 3 spans were replaced with steel stringer spans. The original Key piers were used yet again, with 9' concrete caps placed on each to elevate the bridge. The 1926 bridge is still in regular use by what is now the CSX railroad.