Rating:
4 votes

Old Camp Nelson Bridge

Photos 

Overview

The Old Camp Nelson Bridge is really not the "oldest" of the trio of Camp Nelson Bridges (See Camp Nelson Covered Bridge). The Old Camp Nelson Bridge was built in 1926 to replace the Camp Nelson Covered Bridge and it was, in turn, replaced by a "newer" US 27 Camp Nelson Bridge in 1972. The "new" Camp Nelson Bridge is currently open to traffic while the Old Camp Nelson Bridge sits abandoned. All that remains of the "Old" Old Camp Nelson Bridge (Covered Bridge) are its approaches and its portal archway entrance on the north bank of the Kentucky River.

Photo taken by James McCray

Enlarge

Request this photo

BH Photo #112720

Map 

Street View 

Facts 

Overview
Parker Truss bridge over Kentucky River on Old Lexington Road
Location
Garrard County, Kentucky, and Jessamine County, Kentucky
Status
Closed to all traffic
History
Built 1927 and replaced the Camp Nelson Covered Bridge. However, in turn, it was replaced by the new (US 27) Camp Nelson Bridge in 1972.
Design
Truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 275.8 ft.
Total length: 574.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.7 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+37.76778, -84.61722   (decimal degrees)
37°46'04" N, 84°37'02" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/709874/4182723 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Little Hickman
Average daily traffic (as of 2006)
478
Inventory numbers
KY 040-C00029N (Kentucky bridge number)
BH 18783 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of January 2017)
Sufficiency rating: 15.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • June 28, 2010: New Street View added by Cliff Darby
  • September 29, 2008: New photo from James McCray
  • March 4, 2008: Updated by James McCray

Sources 

  • James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • Cliff Darby - clif30 [at] hotmail [dot] com