Although this bridge often is called the "Glover Cary Bridge," the bridge's only official name is the one it was given when it opened in 1940: Owensboro Bridge.
The Owensboro entrance to the bridge features a "stack" of three plaques that were placed there when the bridge opened. The smallest of these, on the bottom of the stack, notes that the bridge was "Dedicated to the Memory of Glover H. Cary." But the bridge was never named for Cary.
A photograph of the plaques is in the photo gallery for the bridge.
- Through truss bridge over Ohio River on IN 161 (formerly US 231) at downtown Owensboro
- Owensboro, Daviess County, Kentucky, and Spencer County, Indiana
- Open to two-lane traffic
- Opened June 1940
- - Modjeski & Masters of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
- Works Progress Administration
- Cantilevered Warren continuous through truss
Length of largest span: 750.8 ft.
Total length: 4,622.8 ft. (0.9 mi.)
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.4 ft.
- Also called
- Owensboro Bridge
Blue Bridge (unofficial nickname)
Glover Cary Bridge (unofficial nickname)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.78083, -87.10917 (decimal degrees)
37°46'51" N, 87°06'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/490386/4181504 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Owensboro East
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- KY 030-B00118N (Kentucky bridge number)
BH 18758 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 44.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 15, 2022: New photos from Bambi Sharkoman
- March 18, 2019: Updated by Adam: Fixed some incorrect facts.
- February 11, 2019: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
- January 14, 2019: New photos from Melissa Brand-Welch
- April 17, 2018: New photos from Mike Daffron
- August 9, 2017: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- September 28, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- April 20, 2015: New photos from Adam
- October 29, 2011: Updated by J.P.: add builder and engineers along with build date which was not listed.
- October 1, 2011: New photos from James Baughn
- April 9, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- March 14, 2010: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Added Google Street View.
- April 16, 2009: Updated by C Hanchey
- May 28, 2008: New photos from James McCray
- James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Bill Eichelberger
- Nathan Holth
- James Baughn - webmaster [at] bridgehunter [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Dana and Kay Klein
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Mike Daffron - daffmikron [at] gmail [dot] com
- Melissa Brand-Welch - melissabrandwelch [at] msn [dot] com
- Jesse Sharkoman Berube - jesseberube5 [at] gmail [dot] com