Pine Street Bridge
The bridge erected was a two span open spandrel deck concrete arch bridge with two approach spans. The substructure was concrete, and the piers had nosings on the upstream side. The bridge was 362 feet in length, and the curb-to-curb width was 18.3 feet. The bridge carried two lanes of traffic and had a 3.8 foot sidewalk on the upstream side. The bridge contained four spans, one 44-foot continuous reinforced concrete deck girder approach span, two 150-foot concrete arches, and one 17-foot reinforced concrete deck girder approach span. Each of the two open spandrel arches contained three reinforced concrete ribs with two pairs of crossed (X) bracings on each span. Extending upward from the arch line were reinforced concrete compression posts on which the deck rested. Atop the deck was a concrete railing done in the post and rail design. The railing originally had six light fixtures, two at each end and two in the middle. These fixtures were erected for an additional cost of $600.00. A plaque on the railing credits the design to Pettyjohn Art Concrete Company of Terre Haute, Indiana.
- Lost Open-spandrel arch bridge over Cumberland River on Pine Street
- Pineville, Bell County, Kentucky
- Built 1929 by the Luten Bridge Company; demolished and replaced 1985
- - F. T. Frey
- Luten Bridge Co. of York, Pennsylvania & Knoxville, Tennessee
Length of largest span: 150.0 ft.
Total length: 362.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.3 ft.
- Also called
- Freight Depot Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.76434, -83.69299 (decimal degrees)
36°45'52" N, 83°41'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/259625/4072112 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 87046 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 25, 2019: New photos from Ben Tate