Mitchell Covered Bridge
Indiana Historical Society
BH Photo #445943
This was the last covered bridge built by the illustrious Kennedy family of bridge builders, a period of almost 50 years (1870-1918). Like the Norris Ford Bridge in Rush County this one featured no scrolls or brackets, as the Victorian style was considered out of vogue in 1918.
Unfortunately two storms in August of 1965 brought this bridge down.
- Lost Burr arch-truss bridge over Nolands Fork on Pleasant Plain Road
- Wayne County, Indiana
- Destroyed by severe weather
- Built in 1918 by E.L. Kennedy & Sons
- - E.L. Kennedy & Sons
- Burr arch-truss
Length of largest span: 100.0 ft.
Total length: 118.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.5 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.92522, -84.93784 (decimal degrees)
39°55'31" N, 84°56'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/676223/4421492 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 84846 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 31, 2019: New photo from Tony Dillon