Lasalle Avenue Bridge (1871)
Photo of collapse in 1871 of West span of Inverted Bowstring
Note that the cribbing is still in place. The collapse occurred a little after 7am on Friday, February 24th, 1871.
Copy of photo from Morrison family archive
Photo uploaded by Art S.
View this photo at facebook.com
BH Photo #499350
Bridge completed in 1871 (built winter 1870 into spring of 1871) to replace a two span Burr arch covered that had been badly damaged in 1865 by a hurricane (or tornado) and patched together. West span collapsed during construction due to high winds, possibly a tornado a little after 7am on the morning of February 24th, 1871 killing Ben White, who was working on the bridge. The 1874 birds eye view map/drawing shows the two span inverted bowstring. The bridge was destroyed a little after 10am on October 17, 1884 by 'maintenance' performed by someone associated with P.E. Lane.
- Lost Inverted bowstring through truss bridge over St. Joseph River on Lasalle Avenue
- South Bend, St. Joseph County, Indiana
- No longer exists
- Built winter of 1870/71 west span collapsed a little after 7am on Friday Feb. 24, 1871 during work. Subsequently repaired. Lost at a little after 10am on October 17, 1884 when East span was being 'adjusted' by someone associated with P.E. Lane
- - Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio (also known as)
- D.H. & C.C. Morrison of Dayton, Ohio [also known as Columbia Bridge Works]
- Two span iron inverted bowstring through truss. Similar to the 1870 Main Street Bridge in Dayton Ohio.
Length of largest span: 130.0 ft.
Total length: 260.0 ft.
- Also called
- Water Street Bridge (1871)
Water Street Bridge (1871)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.67909, -86.24913 (decimal degrees)
41°40'45" N, 86°14'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/562496/4614419 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 90441 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 25, 2021: Updated by Art Suckewer: corrected length based on span length of Darden Road Bridge
- May 24, 2021: Updated by Art Suckewer: Updated details
- August 31, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com