Darden Road Bridge (?) (first?)
From Engineering News June 19, 1880
"DH & CC Morrison of the Columbia Bridge Works Dayton Ohio have been awarded the contract for a bridge over the St Joseph River between German and Clay townships St Joseph County Ind for $2,380"
I have assumed the location due to the description in Nathan's entry on his website (Historicbridges.org), where it states that Darden was the only crossing of the St. Joseph between Clay and German townships. Prior to that, I had considered Brick Road and Cleveland Road as possibilities but Nathan's info makes this the likely location. Meaning the bridge was lost prior to July 24, 1906 when the P.E. Lane bridge was moved here from Water (now La Salle) St.
- Lost Bridge over St. Joseph River on Darden Road
- South Bend, St. Joseph County, Indiana
- No longer exists
- Built 1880
- - Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio (also known as)
- D.H. & C.C. Morrison of Dayton, Ohio [also known as Columbia Bridge Works]
- Probably a two span Whipple.
- Also called
- Four Mile Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.73013, -86.26870 (decimal degrees)
41°43'48" N, 86°16'07" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/560819/4620071 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 90438 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 31, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: Changed truss type and configuration
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com