Rating:
1 vote

Pulaski Bridge (3rd bridge at this site)

Map 

Description 

From: Counties of White and Pulaski, Indiana: Historical and Biographical Pg. 569

https://books.google.com/books?id=8i8VAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA569&lpg=...

Bridges, —The first bridge across the river at Pulaski was built under the supervision of Ira Brown, not far from the time the village was laid out. It did not last long, and another took its place after a few years. Neither bridge was strong enough to resist the floods that periodically came flowing down the basin of the Tippecanoe, and the second was soon unserviceable. At last, in September, 1875, the County Commissioners contracted with D. H. & C. C. Morrison, bridge manufacturers and contractors of Dayton, Ohio, to build at Pulaski a "Morrison's Patent Wrought Iron Double Quadrilateral Truss" bridge, in two spans, at the rate of $20.50 per linear foot. William Flynn was given the contract for the stone work. The bridge, a fine one, was soon built at a total cost, in round numbers, including everything, of $6,500. It is considered a very safe bridge.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Whipple through truss bridge over Tippecanoe River on County Rd. 560S
Location
Pulaski, Pulaski County, Indiana
Status
No longer exists
History
Built in 1875 by D.H. & C.C. Morrison (Columbia Bridge Works) for about $6,500
Builders
- Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio (also known as)
- D.H. & C.C. Morrison of Dayton, Ohio [also known as Columbia Bridge Works]
Design
Morrison's Patent Wrought Iron Double Quadrilateral Truss bridge, in two spans (CBW's name for/version of a Whipple or double intersection Pratt)
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.97495, -86.65701   (decimal degrees)
40°58'30" N, 86°39'25" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/528856/4536032 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 90428 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • August 30, 2020: Added by Art S.

Sources 

  • Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com