Jessup Covered Bridge
Vintage postcard scan.
Photo by John V. Pontiere, Jr.
BH Photo #165856
Originally located on the Catlin Road over Little Raccoon Creek just North of Jessup. After the Adams Covered Bridge was destroyed by flooding in 1969 it was decided to move the Jessup Bridge (which had been bypassed) to the Adams location. The 155ft long bridge was moved intact up through Rockville and then Northeast to the bridge site where it fit perfectly on the old Adams Bridge abutments. Unfortunately it would meet the same fate nearly 20 years later.
- Lost Burr Arch Covered bridge over Little Raccoon Creek on CR 100 N.
- Parke County, Indiana
- Destroyed by storm
- Built 1910, moved in 1970, destroyed in 1989 when a large tree fell on it, breaking the arches. It collapsed into the creek, floated under the Sanatorium Covered Bridge, and finally stopped near the U.S. 36 Bridge
- - J.P. Van Fossen
- Covered Burr arch-truss
Total length: 155.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.78117, -87.14520 (decimal degrees)
39°46'52" N, 87°08'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/487566/4403479 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 14-61-06x (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 45299 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 8, 2010: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Added GPS coords
- May 22, 2010: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- May 19, 2010: Added by Bill Eichelberger