Martinsville Covered Bridge
Photo courtesy of Bob Strader and Andy Certolic.
BH Photo #463426
The bridge was started in the Spring of 1873 and was said to have been "thrown open" for use on Christmas Eve of that year. The substructure cost $8,936 and the superstructure came in at $18,768. It contained 185,000 board feet of White Pine and 48,000 board feet of Oak. A storm in the Spring of 1893 did irreparable damage and it was replaced. The large metal Pennsylvania trusses were placed on the cut stone abutments and piers of the covered bridge. That bridge stood until about 1950.
Information provided by George E. Gould from his book "Indiana Covered Bridges Thru the Years".
- Lost Burr arch-truss bridge over West Fork White River on State Road 39
- Morgan County, Indiana
- Destroyed by severe weather
- Built in 1873 by A.M. Kennedy & Son; heavily damaged by a storm in 1893.
- - A.M. Kennedy & Sons (Superstructure)
- Theodore Eck - of St. Paul, IN (Substructure)
- Burr arch-truss
Total length: 532.0 ft.
- Also called
- White River IN 39 Bridge (Oldest)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.43404, -86.44913 (decimal degrees)
39°26'03" N, 86°26'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/547408/4365089 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 87654 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 8, 2020: New photos from Mike Daffron
- January 3, 2020: New photos from Mike Daffron
- January 3, 2020: Added by Tony Dillon
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Mike Daffron - daffmikron [at] gmail [dot] com