Photo taken by Tom Hall
BH Photo #115656
Here's a short video on the Butler Bridge that I rcently did.
Play video on YouTube
With a build date of 1903, I believe this to be the oldest remaining span built by the Pan American Bridge Company of New Castle, Indiana. That firm was organized in 1902 by T.J. Burk. He was disgruntled by the vote of the other shareholders to move the New Castle Bridge Company to Indianapolis and immediately sold his interests. He built a new and more substantial plant and started production in the Fall of 1902.
His firm would enjoy greater longevity than the relocated (and renamed) Central States Bridge Company.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Eel River on CR 950 North
- Miami County, Indiana
- Built 1903 by the Pan American Bridge Company.
- - Pan American Bridge Co. of New Castle, Indiana
- 2X7-panel, Pinned Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 140.1 ft.
Total length: 286.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Eel River CR 950N Bridge
Miami County Bridge #54
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.90472, -85.96556 (decimal degrees)
40°54'17" N, 85°57'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/587124/4528695 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 5200041 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 16646 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 28.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 27, 2021: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added stuff
- May 26, 2021: New photos from Jen Savage
- March 30, 2021: New video from Satolli Glassmeyer
- May 3, 2018: Updated by Dave King: Added categories "7-panel truss", "Lattice Railing"
- September 6, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- September 6, 2016: Updated by Tony Dillon: Updated status to closed.
- January 28, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- April 28, 2009: Essay added by James Norwood
- February 5, 2009: Updated by Anthony Dillon
- June 23, 2008: Updated by Anthony Dillon: common name, builder, and truss type
- Tom Hall - thomas [dot] hall [at] ffni [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- James Norwood
- Satolli Glassmeyer - info [at] scenicroadrallies [dot] com
- Jen Savage - reoracer [at] gmail [dot] com