The bridge is rumored to be built at least partially from materials obtained from the original Ferris Wheel at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. The current maintainer's of the bridge, the Porter County Parks Department, state only that it is "built from parts of a building from the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. According to James Coopers book, Iron Monuments To Distant Posterity the bridge may have been built from salvaged roof trusses of the Indiana building at the 1903 Worldís Fair in St. Louis.
The bridge was renovated in 2003 winning a state award for the engineering work involved.
Steel through arch bridge over Kankakee River on CR 500 E (bypassed)