Rating:
No votes cast

Old Nellie Covered Bridge

Photo 

Taken after abandonment

Indiana Historical Society

BH Photo #445123

Map 

Description 

Perhaps the only railroad bridge that the Kennedy family ever built, and a rare example of a Howe truss by them. Was originally built for the Bedford & Bloomfield Railroad, that would later become part of the Monon Railroad.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Howe through truss bridge over West Fork White River on Bedford & Bloomfield Railroad
Location
Greene County, Indiana
Status
Collapsed
History
Built in 1884 by A.M. Kennedy & Sons; collapsed in 1937 after being abandoned.
Builder
- A.M. Kennedy & Sons
Design
Howe through truss
Dimensions
Total length: 600.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.02933, -86.96687   (decimal degrees)
39°01'46" N, 86°58'01" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/502867/4320031 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 84810 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • March 27, 2019: New photo from Tony Dillon

Sources