Moore Covered Bridge 14-26-02x
Vintage postcard scan.
Scan by Bill Eichelberger
BH Photo #165873
This was the last covered bridge in the state of Indiana to be replaced that wasn't destroyed by arson or a storm. An over-sized truck did considerable damage to the bridge in September of 1978. Instead of spending the estimated $28,000 on repairs, the county decided to quickly remove and replace it. The wooden bridge was cut into pieces and burned. The replacement superstructure was placed on the covered bridge abutments.
- Lost Smith through truss bridge over Patoka River
- Gibson County, Indiana
- Removed and replaced
- Built in 1876 by William T. Washer, replaced in 1978 after damage from a large truck.
- - William T. Washer
- Smith through truss
Total length: 150.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.41397, -87.50771 (decimal degrees)
38°24'50" N, 87°30'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/455675/4251869 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 14-26-02x (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 45306 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 17, 2021: New photo from Tony Dillon
- October 18, 2020: New photos from Garrett DiDomizio
- November 9, 2010: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- May 19, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Added coordinates, date lost and description of the loss of this bridge.
- May 19, 2010: Added by Bill Eichelberger
- Bill Eichelberger
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Garrett DiDomizio - garrettdidomizio [at] gmail [dot] com