Looking North at the East abutment of structure 2006
Here you can see the fill, with concrete drainage tube and one side of the abutment that remains.
Photo taken by James Norwood
BH Photo #136922
Written by James Norwood
People today no nothing of this former bridge. The interurban line through here is interesting as it features several bridges. The Wabash Railroad, Wabash River and Kienly Island, this structure, and finally Seven Mile Pike's overpass. The IUT line went from Logansport to Kokomo and onto Indianapolis from the early 1900's up to the early 1930's. The former Pennsylvania Railroad passed over this bridge and their large "Yard A" in Logansport started immediately to the West of this bridge. Today, the bridge abutments remain, but that is all. The stringers and decking have all been pulled away, and fill has been put in along with a simple drainage pipe for a small stream. This was probably done not long after the Interurban line was abandoned as the then busy Pennsy Railroad line was double-tracked and upkeep of this unneeded structure was probably not in their best interest. Today the Winamac Southern Railway owns the old Pennsy tracks and their operator US Rail runs this line several times a week while running from Kokomo to the old YARD A to meet their connection with the Toledo Peoria and Western who own Yard A's West end.
While traveling on US 35/US24 by this area you can carefully look to the North at the Winamac Southern line and see the old abutments during the winter when the leaves are gone. This is between County Road 325 East and the Herd Seeder Company's location. The view last just a second, but it can be done. Make sure and look below in the "Sources" area for a couple of links to period photos of this lost bridge.
- Lost Steel stringer bridge over Former Indiana Union Traction and small stream on Conrail, Penn Central, Pennsylvania, Chicago Great Eastern, New Castle and Richmond, other)
- Logansport, Cass County, Indiana
- IUT Traction Company(later Indiana Railroad) went under the double tracked Panhandle(Pennsylvania RR) before arriving at the Wabash River and soon Logansport. Abutments are still there, bridge filled in and WSRY still runs the line overhead.
- - Conrail (CR)
- Indiana Railroad (IR)
- New Castle & Richmond Railroad (NC&R)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad (PCC&StL)
- Union Traction Company of Indiana (UTC)
- Simple stringer bridge of Steel with solid concrete abutments.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.73311, -86.31570 (decimal degrees)
40°43'59" N, 86°18'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/557782/4509355 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 42278 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 14, 2022: Updated by Luke: Removed category "Indiana Rail Road"; Replaced with correct interurban category "Indiana Railroad"
- July 15, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Interurban", "Railroad"
- April 28, 2009: New photo from James Norwood
- April 10, 2009: New photos from James Norwood
- April 9, 2009: Essay added by James Norwood