Cutler Covered Bridge (second)
Old 1950s era photo of Cutler covered bridge.
I think it is looking thru the bridge to the west bank.
BH Photo #175745
Actually, there were 2 covered bridges built on this same site, neither of which is standing, across Wild Cat Creek on or near where County Road West 500 South might have connected with Main Street, Section 33, Township 24 North, and Range 1 West, just west of Cutler, Carroll County.
The first was covered bridge on this site may have utilized a Howe Truss, was 150 feet long, or 170 feet including the 10-foot overhang at each end. This structure was built in about 1872 and had a short life as it was washed out in 1876. Its quick replacement seems to have generated some confusion, for example it may have been 155 feet long without an overhang, but I believe it was built by the Indianapolis Bridge Company. This first Cutler Covered Bridge was listed as #14-08-03 in the World Guide (according to G. Gould's 1977 list).
The second covered bridge built on this site was listed by Gould as potentially being a single span structure utilizing the Howe Truss, however, the photo by Bryan Ketcham clearly shows an arch and he further noted that the structure had a 10-foot overhang on each end, which is a characteristic of a Burr Arch. Having a length of 150 feet, or 170 feet including the overhangs, with a portal clearance 17 feet wide by 14 feet high, this Cutler Covered Bridge was built in 1876 by W. W Winslow and listed in the World Guide (according to G. Gould's 1977 list) as #14-08-04 and lost in 1952
Taken from http://www.countyhistory.com/coveredbridge/carroll3.htm
*1876 bridge was possibly a rebuild of the damaged 1872 structure.
- Howe truss covered bridge over Wildcat Creek on County Road 500 South, West of Cutler.
- Carroll County, Indiana
- Dismantled after being closed for several years.
- Built 1876; Removed 1952
- - Indianapolis Bridge Co. of Indianapolis, Indiana
- W.W. Winslow
- Howe truss with arches. 170 feet long built in 1876 by W. W Winslow and listed in the World Guide (according to G. Gould's 1977 list) as #14-08-04 and lost in 1952
Length of largest span: 150.0 ft.
Total length: 170.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.47789, -86.53111 (decimal degrees)
40°28'40" N, 86°31'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/539743/4480905 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 14-08-04x (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 46026 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 2, 2020: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added stuff
- June 2, 2020: New photos from Melissa Brand-Welch
- June 1, 2020: New photos from Art Suckewer
- May 31, 2020: New photos from Art Suckewer
- March 25, 2019: New photo from Tony Dillon
- September 2, 2010: New photos from Richard Hendrix
- September 1, 2010: Added by Richard Hendrix
- Richard Hendrix
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com
- Melissa Brand-Welch - melissabrandwelch [at] msn [dot] com