CSX - Milroy Crossing
Photo taken by Jim Wolfe in August 2012
BH Photo #501574
Recently, construction of Indiana highway 25 into a 4 lane divided highway has cut across the former Monon route line between the old Indiana 25 Monon bridge (BH 36771) and this Milroy Crossing bridge. This work once again exposed this long forgotten bridge usually covered in trees and other vegetation. Site is famous for supposedly being the site of the "Milroy Sculptures", an allusive set of stone carvings that has long been sought after but have apparently been unearthed and removed to an unknown location. It was said that at one time Monon passenger trains would slow down so riders could view these elaborate works cut into the stone along the rail line. Recently, a construction laboror died working in this area after a portion of the old railroad roadbed collapsed burying him alive during the "Hoosier Heartland Highway" construction. Unknown if bridge will remain, but it is known that a new pedestrian bridge will be constructed across the new highway to connect the old railroad line as it is now part of the Delphi Historic Trails network.
- Bridge over Milroy farm access lane on Formerly CSX Transportation(nee Seaboard, L&N, Monon, Chicago Indianapolis and Louisville Railroads)
- Delphi, Carroll County, Indiana
- Intact but closed to all traffic. New Hoosier Heartland Highway construction immediately adjacent to old bridge.
- Future prospects
- Is part of Delphi Historic Trails currently running from town to former Monon High Bridge over Deer Creek just South of here.
- Probably built so former prominant Delphi citizen Samual Milroy could access his lower fields along Deer Creek from his historic homestead. Recent Indiana 25 construction has removed all trees at this location and once again exposed it's existance.
- - CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Chicago, Indianapolis, & Louisville Railway (CIL)
- Louisville & Nashville Railroad (LN)
- Monon Railroad (MON)
- Seaboard Air Line Railway (SAL)
- Steel stringer
- Also called
- Monon - Milroy Crossing
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.59338, -86.65316 (decimal degrees)
40°35'36" N, 86°39'11" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/529348/4493678 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 55075 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 14, 2021: New photo from Luke
- January 2, 2013: Added by James Norwood